Saturday 8 April 2017

Review of the day

The final day of the TVB season, quite literally had everything !

A winner - an unbelievable loser – some very good performances - and a number of grave disappointments !!

The winner was Fountains Windfall, who took apart the opening race on the card – and at least ensured that there was minimal pressure on the rest of the days tips.

Which as it turned out, was just as well !

That said, Benetar ran a massive race in the following contest, totally justifying my initial view of him.
He only managed to finish fourth – but I’m sure that with slightly softer ground, he would have gone very close.
He’s going to be a big player in novice chases next season…

Next up, was arguably the most dramatic race of the day (which is saying something, on Grand National day !).

I’ve bemoaned the poor luck of the tips all season – and so I couldn’t believe it, when Forest Bihan was effectively presented with the race by Politologues stumble, after jumping the final fence.

In fairness, Foest Bihan wasn’t completely beaten at the time – but it did look like Politologue was getting the better of the argument.
His fall, left Forest Bihan a couple of lengths clear, with just a furlong to run.

But somehow, he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
His trainer suggested it was an attitude problem – but I think he didn’t want to spoil the luck run of TVB tips !
He traded at 1.06 in running – which I think just about beats Flinthams in running low – though I could be wrong !

The next 2 races were both disappointing, so far as the tips were concerned.

As you doubtless picked up, I was pretty keen on Knock House - though I couldn’t understand why he was such a big price.
My hope was that he would be backed late – but the money never materialised.
I suspect that someone knew he wasn’t back to his best – and he duly put in a laboured performance.

Different Graveys’ effort was even more lamentable.
In fairness, that was always a possibility – as he has been out of form.
I hoped the cheek pieces might have perked him up this afternoon – but they didn’t and he was pulled up not long after half way…

And so on to the big race of the day – and what an anti-climax !

Vicente down at the very first fence; The Young Master down at the chair; Thunder and Roses baulked and unseating after jumping Valentines.
Bishops Road seemed to hate the place – and neither Drop out Joe nor Wounded Warrior ever really featured.

I’ve no idea how many hours I spent studying the race, but I may as well have just got out a pin !

I did say that the race was getting harder to solve !

The finale on the card was won by Chesterfield – who was one of the horses I thought would be involved.
He was getting the better of John Constable, when that one fell at the last.

At least that contest was a little more predictable – even if it wasn’t profitable !

So that really is it for 6 months – no more emails bombarding your inbox on a daily basis – I’m sure you’ll all miss me !

That said, I will continue to offer a few thoughts in the forum – at least for the remainder of this month - if you want to wean yourself off things more gradually.

In addition, Chris and Francis will doubtless be posting selections/results from their various systems bets (it is possible to set up the forum to automatically email you posts, if you don’t want to have to keep looking at it, directly).

Finally, just a reminder that I intend to get an end of season report out, sometime during the next week.
Make sure you study it carefully, I’m sure it will be a compelling read !

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment