Saturday 11 February 2017

Review of the day

As has been the case on the 2 previous weekends, it was another solid Saturday: with a wining tip; a wining Mention – and even a big priced eye catcher, who went very close…
The winning tip was Grey Gold.
Under ideal conditions, he battled on well to get the better of Dream Bolt.
Rather surprisingly, that one had been backed into favouritism (he was 20/1 on the opening show yesterday !) - and he coped easily with the step up in grade.
However, he was no match for Grey Gold, who showed that the fire still burns bright – even at 12 years of age…

I don’t think the fire still burns quite as bright for Alvarado.
He too is 12 years old – but age maybe catching up with him,
That said, his issue could just have been the tight Musselbrough course.
Whatever the reason, despite being ridden relatively prominently by Paddy Brennan, he was unable to find anything when the pace quickened and could only plod on into a well beaten sixth.

I was expecting more from him – so it was a little disappointing.

Atirelarigo was the final tip on the day.
I knew he came with risks – primarily with his jumping – and sure enough, that let him down at the fifth last.
In truth, it had looked a bit sketchy at a couple of the earlier fences – and if he is ever to fulfil his potential, it will need to markedly improve.

All this said, I doubt he would have beaten Oldgrangewood regardless, as he won like a horse with a stone in hand of his mark…

Otago Trail was the days winning Mention.
I did consider tipping him – but his price was quite short – and I was fearful of a late non runner to spoil place terms.

Ironically, he drifted to the target 5/1 price, late morning (before being backed, just before the off) – and there were no non runners – so maybe one or two of you took a chance on him.

Baron Alco was the first Mention to run – and he ran a cracker.
In fact, his race panned out exactly as expected, with him just not quite able to withstand the challenge of Top Notch.
Maybe I should have suggested a straight forecast…

The days other 2 Mentions didn’t do quite so well…
El Terremento didn’t get home in the heavy ground at Sandown (which I knew was a possibility); whilst Drumcliff was just disappointing at Musselburgh.
Again, I suspected he might be running in quite a hot race – but I still thought he would do better than his fifth placing.

Optimus Prime ran far too freely in the same race. However he could still be of interest, if he settles a bit better: whilst the days other eye catcher, Calin du Brezais ran an absolute cracker.
He was an unconsidered 16/1 chance - but looked set to win, approaching the final hurdle.
In truth, I don’t think he quite would have done – but he didn’t deserve the unseat which subsequently occurred.

Over at Wetherby, Baywing caused a massive surprise, when winning at 33/1.
As I said this morning, I could have given him a chance on really soft ground – but I didn’t think it would be soft enough for him.
Well, it clearly was and he came home a comfortable winner.

Finally, I’m glad that I cooled on Milbrough, as he never featured.
Maybe what I should have done instead, was make Ami Debois a Top Pick.
However he was quite short in the betting this morning (6/4) and that put me off.
At his SP of 15/8, I could easily have been tempted…

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment