Tuesday 6 December 2016

Review of the day

It may have ended up a bit of a nothing day, from a P&L perspective – but I think we all know that it could easily have been a lot better than that…

My main concern over the past couple of weeks, has been that I’ve not been reading the races as well as I would have liked.

In my defence, so many are almost impossible to read, it really puts the pressure on to get right the ones that can be cracked.

There was no shortage of decent races today – and I was really pleased at how many of them, I either got right – or got close.

Obviously, it’s disappointing that I didn’t manage to generate a decent profit from the tips – but tipping is very difficult – particularly the way I try to do it.
If I’m reading things right, we’ll always stand a chance – if I’m not, we’ve got no hope !

Anyway, in terms of how the tips got on:

The winner on the day, was As De Mee.
He was backed down to an unbelievable SP (4/1) – but duly bolted up.
I thought Sean Bowen rode a sublime race on him – he really is a talented jockey.

It was interesting that the horse was chased home by the 2 eye catchers in the race: Seefood and Henryville.
I expected the former to run well – but I was surprised to see the latter take to the Aintree fences.

Talking of jockeyship, I couldn’t believe it when Daryl Jacobs chose to drop in Cocktails on Dawn, in the 3 mile chase.
As I said this morning, the race was there to be stolen from the front – and Cocktails at Dawn was the only confirmed front runner in the race !

It was a crazy tactic – and unsurprisingly, never looked likely to succeed.
I always find it interesting see the movements in the BF market pre-race, when things like that happen.
Cocktails at Dawn was a big drifter – suggesting that someone knew he wasn’t going to be ridden prominently.

Instead Many Clouds led from flag fall – and whilst Minella Rocco desperately tried to reel him in, between the last 2 fences – he was under too much pressure and fell at the final fence.
Many Clouds stole the race – when I had hoped Cocktails at Dawn could have done so.

The first tip to run on the Aintree card, was Ziga Boy – but he unseated at the very first fence.
In fairness, he didn’t make a mistake – just jinked trying to avoid a fallen horse – and that was that.

Like I said this morning, the fences might not take as much jumping nowadays – but you still need some luck.

I’m sure Deckie would agree with that statement, as he napped Highland Lodge in the competition in the forum (as did Rodney).
The horse had the race won everywhere apart from the final 10 yards.
Unlucky guys…

The 2 tips at Sandown, both ran fair races, without being quite good enough.

In the Tingle Creek, an early mistake probably cost God’s Own (coupled with the fact that be needs a little further); whilst the jumping of Conas Taoi was also a little scratchy.
Both horses gave us a decent run for out money, though…

Earlier on the card, Arctic Gold took advantage of the absence of Blue Rambler, and was a comfortable winner of the handicap hurdle.
With hindsight, an EW tip on him, wouldn’t have been a bad shout…

I could also have tipped Kayf Blano EW in the other handicap hurdle on the card – and he ran a cracker to finish third – with my other fancy for the race, Consul de Thaix, finishing runner up…

Finally, Altior was seriously impressive in winning the Henry VIII novice chase – he does look like a future champion…

There was one tip at Chepstow – and he came agonisingly close to providing us with a second winner on the day.

Many is the time, we’ve cheered on Richard Johnson in a driving finish – but we were on the other side of the fence, this afternoon !

Having led from flag fall, Potters Cross looked to have taken the race apart  - but Dickie somehow conjured a run out of Lamb or Cod.

Poetter Cross touched 1.08 in running – which gives an idea of how close he came to victory.
But once Dickie had galvanised Lamb or Cod, the result had a certain inevitability about it.

I was very frustrated about one of Dickies earlier winners on the Chepstow card.
Atirelargo was a 6/1 shot last night: and his returned SP was 6/1 – but in the window when I could have tipped him, the best we could have got was 5/1 (and many wouldn’t have got that).

That’s one of the real frustrations of tipping – to an extent, you are controlled by the market.
At least it didn’t stop me form napping the horse in the forum competition 

The first tip to run, was Turn over Sivola, at Fairyhouse - however, he was clearly being aimed at an other day…
In a way, I should have been wise to it – because if today was the day, I think he would have been backed early (and backed late as well !).

Instead, he was a pre-race drifter – and settled out the back, took very little interest in proceedings
I’m sure there will be days for him – though they may be in the spring…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment