Friday 4 November 2016

Review of the day

I lied about not producing a ‘review of the day’ !

It doesn’t feel right, not completing the loop on the days racing – and I don’t like to short change people.

The truth of the matter is that it doesn’t take me long to review a day – and there are learning points, most days.

I only really have an issue with available time, over the weekend (as Saturdays tend to be exceptionally busy).
I’ll therefore maybe keep reviews on Fridays and Saturdays a bit shorter – and just issue them when I can…

Anyway, on to today:

Dresden ran disappointingly in the Haldon Gold cup.
The market suggested beforehand that he wasn’t going to do much (out to 25 on BF) – and sure enough, that’s exactly what happened.
The other three that I was interested in (Garde le Victoire, Dodging Bullets and Ultragold), looked to have the race between them, for most of the contest – but they were all ultimately eclipsed by Sir Valentino.
I couldn’t have had him.
He was quite closely matched with Dresden on a couple of form lines – but he was a shorter price and Dresden had the benefit of a recent run.

Emerging Market won the following novice chase – but he wasn’t as impressive as I expected.
In fairness, small fields can result in strange races – and I suspect he will look better in a bigger field, with a stronger pace.

Caulfields Venture was a game winner of the handicap chase at 3:20.
I never really considered tipping him – but I know what one or two of you backed him on the strength of my comments in the write-up – which is interesting…
Re-reading them, I can understand why – and maybe I should stick with the ‘solid’ option, rather than go with the more speculative ones (such as Silver Commander).

In the final race on the card, Baraza didn’t just stay strong in the betting, he was backed as if defeat was out of the question.
And for much of the race, he did look different class to his rivals.
However a mistake at the third last seemed to throw him completely – and ultimately he could only finish fourth.
Neither of the other two I was interested in, managed to place either – suggesting that it was a race best left alone (which was my over-riding thought, this morning)…

That’s day 1 properly taken care of, then…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment