Sunday 20 November 2016

Review of the day

There was no joy with Nightline this afternoon – which was a bit of a shame, considering how well backed he was…

14/1 early, was 8/1 at lunchtime – and 6/1 at the off.
It’s difficult to know what a ‘fair’ price should be in that kind of race – but I would have thought that 8/1 was about right.

Anyway, it was all immaterial, as after having travelled well for the first half of the race, he was quickly beaten.
Connections blamed the ground – and after a lot of lunchtime rain, I could believe that.
The weather won’t make things easy for any of us, in the short term…

In the same race, Spencer Lea ran a cracking race – and briefly looked as if he might make me pay for not at least saving on him (something which I did consider).
However, he just couldn’t find sufficient to mount a challenge – and had to settle for a running on third place…

Earlier on the card, Oscar Rock managed to overcome a mistake at the last, to win the handicap hurdle.
When you’ve got the best part of a stone in hand of your mark, there is a fair chance you’ll find a way to win, regardless of what happens in the race – and that seemed to be the case with him.
Life will be tougher for him now, however...

The third race of interest at Market Rasen, was the handicap chase.
I’m a little irritated that I didn’t spend longer on the race, as I reckon I could have put us on a 20/1 winner.
In my defence, I did flag the possibility of Emerald Rose – but not really strongly enough.

The problem was, I was drawn to Amiral Collonges – even with Pual Moloney in the saddle !
Fortunately his booking was enough to stop me from getting involved – but it was also enough to cause me to leave the race alone.

That was shame, as Emerald Rose was no 20/1 shot – and she wore down long time leader, I Just Know, close home…

Over at Wincanton, Smoking Jacket ran a fair race, but was no match for Sirabad.
That one led from start to finish – and won in a hack canter.
He was well backed, suggesting that his improved form wasn’t a surprise to everyone…

Over at Clonmel, Gusty Rock also ran a fair race in the handicap hurdle – but couldn’t get to his two market rivals,
I actually thought Ruby left him with a bit too much to do – but maybe he’s just a tricky ride.
Misty Lady isn’t a tricky ride - she’s dead straightforward.
Go from the front - and battle when challenge.
She didn’t win – and never really looked likely to - but she did half in price, for anyone who tried to ‘DOB’ on her…

Finally, the Clonmel Oil Chase was won by Alechi Inois – but he was a bit lucky.
Outlander had the race in the bag, but got the final fence wrong.
Monskland stayed on for a never closer third. He was given a lot to do – though early mistakes didn’t help his cause…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment