Sunday 20 November 2016

Review of the day

There’s no way of dressing it up – it was a disappointing day.

I tipped in 3 races – and didn’t get close to a winner.
More than that, there weren’t many positives to take out of the write-up – so I suspect it was a losing day for everyone…

All I can offer in my defence, is that it’s never easy when the ground is changing (which is part of the reason why I was so light on the tips): whilst trying to secure some ‘value’, can feel nearly impossible, due the speed with which the bookmakers cut prices…

Anyway, in terms of what happened on the day…

The big tip was Saroque.
I was very keen on him – but he bumped into one in the shape of Three Faces West.

I just didn’t see that coming.
The winner had been a major disappointment on his seasonal debut – and looked one to avoid.
Yet the betting knew he was going to perform today – and from flag fall, he looked a completely different horse.

He even managed to steal Saroques front running script.
Saroque did briefly try and make a race of it with him – but you’ve little chance when you are facing a horse with a stone in hand of its mark (which I think was the case with Three Faces West).
I guess these things happen – even if they are a bit frustrating…

The first tip to run, was Askamore Darsi.
He was more of a speculative play at a price - though the price had well and truly gone, by the off !.
Despite the market support however, he never featured – and was eventually pulled up.

Neither of the tips in the fixed brush hurdle finished their race, either.
Affair D’Honneur looks to have gone the wrong way – and barely made it beyond half way; whilst Rathpatrick was a beaten horse, when falling at the third last.

In the other races on the day:

Cue Card was an impressive winner of the Betfair chase.
Tea for Two will have his work cut out if he’s going to beat him at Kempton.

The ‘mention’, Velezay, ran a massive race for a 66/1 shot – and briefly looked as if he might get involved in the finish.
He touched 7 in running – but could never quite get to Coneygree, never mind Cue Card.

There was more frustration in the big hurdle race at Haydock.
Last April, When Ch’tbello won the Scottish champions hurdle, Dan Skelton said that the horse had deliberately been kept away from winter ground because he couldn’t handle it.
I was therefore surprised to even see him running today – though when he did, I maybe shouldn’t have been quite so surprised to see him win !

It was a shame as well, as Melodic Rendezvous was another outsider who outran his odds to finish second.

Over at Ascot, you had to laugh, when the 3 horses I mentioned in the novice handicap chase all departed at the very first fence !
Clearly the bookmakers knew something I didn’t !

I was also a fair way off the mark in the big chase – where the 2 horses I thought required softer ground, fought out the finish.
I guess in fairness, I did say it was a race I felt best left alone…

For most of the Coral hurdle, I was wishing that I hadn’t left Lil Rockerfeller alone.
He never appeared to be travelling – but that is his way.
When he took it up round the home turn, I knew it would take a good one to pass him.

Unfortunately, Yanworth is clearly a good one – as he did manage to get past him.
Lil Rockerfeller touched 1.2 in running – but Yanworth was just a bit classier.

At the weights, Lil Rockerfeller comes out of the race as the best horse – but I bet his odds don’t reflect that the next time he runs.
He remains a horse to follow.

Finally, Vaniteux was a big disappointment in the closing handicap chase.
I thought he could win the race and show himself a Champion chase contender.
Instead the race was taken by ex. Champion chase hero, Sire de Grugy – who was also giving Vaniteux weight.
It has be considered doubtful that this seasons Champion chase winner was in the field…

TVB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment