Sunday 27 November 2016

Review of the day

I’ve had some good days, doing this over the past 5 seasons – and I’ve also had some bad days: but I struggle to remember one worse than today…

6 tips on the day – and only one ran any sort of a race.

In fairness, it could easily have won – and maybe then I wouldn’t be feeling quite so down about things – but it didn’t and a near miss isn’t much use to anyone…

The horse in question was Warriors Tale – and he ran a fine race to finish second to O Maonlai.
I could possibly have gone with the winner, who I did fancy at a price -  but I felt there was too much guesswork involved.

Instead I split stakes with Generous Ransom – but he jumped poorly and never travelled.
He didn’t last much beyond half way…

Truckers Highway was the first tip on the day to run – but the writing was on the wall for him before the tapes even went up.

You will rarely see more prophetic betting – and it was screaming that Colin’s Brother was going to win.
Like Truckers Highway, he was a 3/1 shot early - but he was backed into 11/10 at the off and looked different class.
In fairness, he had the form to win – but again, it would have required guesswork to support him (unless you were in the know).

I thought Truckers Highway ran poorly – but an hour later, Askamore Darsi comfortably out did him !

He looked reluctant from the start and was given a reminder after jumping the very first fence.
That made no difference though and he was tailed off, not long after half way.

It was a thoroughly mulish display – even worse than the one he put in a week ago.
I definitely won’t tip him again !

Back at Newbury, Tommy Silver was at least well supported in the handicap hurdle – but he too ran a shocking race.
He jumped well enough for the first few hurdles – but then came under pressure and quickly dropped away.

The final tip to run was Whispering Harry.
I selected him in preference to the 2 eye catchers it the race – so maybe the end result was inevitable.

Whispering Harry fell at the fourth, leaving Ultragold and Parsnip Pete to fight out the finish.
You couldn’t make it up…!

Earlier on the Newbury Card, Thistlecrack put in a much improved round of jumping to win the novice chase – though to be honest, I don’t think we learnt anything about him.

Onefitzall won the 2m4f hurdle – and it was interesting that both he and Born Suvivor shortened quite dramatically in the betting, from prices I already considered too short.

It was the same story with Native River in the Hennessy.
I felt 6/1 was too short – but he went off at 7/2 and tenaciously clung on to beat Caroles Destrier.
He was a good bet at 33/1 – but I had decided to swerve the race.

At Newcastle Petit Moucher was still in with every chance when falling at the third last.
Irving was a game – and somewhat surprising – winner of the race.

Whilst Otago Trail got the better of the strongly fancied Bristol de Mai and Definitly Red.
Venetia’s a tough one to keep down.

Finally at Doncaster, Bigpipenotobacee was a huge drifter - but I felt he still had every chance when he came down at the fifth last.
He remains one to be interested in…

TVB.

No comments:

Post a Comment