Sunday 6 November 2016

Review of the day

It almost felt as if someone had moved the goal posts, late this morning…

I got used to that happening in the second half of last season – but I didn’t expect it to be an issue so early this time round.

Overnight rain significantly changed the going at Aintree, with it ending up on the soft side: whilst no rain at Wincanton, resulted in a raft of non runners, and the races having a very strange feel about them.

I half expected a going change at Aintree, which is why I didn’t tip Yong Dillon. However, I didn’t expect it to be riding quite so quick at Wincanton…

Not that I would use the lack of rain as an excuse for the defeat of Zubayr.
In fairness, he ran a really big race – and looked the most likely winner approaching the second last.
However, Sceau Royal then got going and was on top at the last, when Zubayr took a crashing fall.
With hindsight, maybe Zubayr would have been better off tracking Sceau Royal (rather then the other way round) – though in truth, it might not have made any difference to the result.

Roc Dapsis was the other tip to run at Wincanton.
His race was spoilt by 4 non runners – and I would never have put him up EW if I’d know it was going to end up a 7 horse race.
Ofcourse, if he had been good enough, his chance should have been improved by the defections – but I doubt that he actually wanted such quick ground.
His jumping was ragged when put under pressure – and the reality may be, he’s not as good as I thought.
I would perhaps give him one more chance under perfect conditions - but he’s a horse I need to be a little bit wary of…

The same could be true of Splash of Ginge, as he was also disappointing…
I don’t think he would have minded conditions at Aintree (in fact, they probably improved his chances) – though I did expect him to be ridden more prominently.
As it was, he spent most of the race between horses – and I’m not sure it suited him.
That said, it could simply be a case of him not having the class of the first two home (or of Some Buckle, who was still moving well, when making a shocking mistake at the fourth last).

In terms of the other races of interest:

Then at Wincanton, Virgilio didn’t run his race (again, quite possibly because of the ground). Frodon was a good winner of the race – but he will find a big difference between todays contest and next Saturdays Betvictor Gold Cup (which he is apparently being aimed at).

At Aintree, Caid Du Berlais was an impressive winner of Young Dillons race – something which was always possible.

Whilst Keel Haul ran a really game race to finish second in the 2 mile chase.
That said, I felt his connections missed a trick slightly, as I don’t think the course really suited him – and he was clearly in good enough form to have won, at the right track.

At Down Royal, 2 of the ‘A’s (Ainslie and All the Answers) allowed Wakea too much rope and couldn’t reel him in. Derulo ran a reasonable race to finish sixth.

The two big races on the card were won by Valseur Lido and Sub Lieutenant respectively - as I thought might be the case.
Both were backable last night, at odds of 10/3 and 5/1 respectively – but those prices were long gone this morning – and even shorter by the off (2/1 and 6/4).
Unless you are in the know – it’s impossible to get involved at those kind of prices.

Finally, I watched Trickaway carefully at Kelso – and he duly dotted up ! 
Again, a difficult one to get involved with, unless you were in the know…

TVB  

No comments:

Post a Comment